Visible light photoredox catalysis enables challenging organic transformations to be carried out under mild reaction conditions. However, the applicability of photoredox catalysis has been hampered due to the limited scalability. Our group has been engaged in developing novel photocatalytic methods to enable C–CF3, S–CF3, C–S and S–S bond forming reactions. A substantial acceleration is observed when this chemistry is translated to continuous-flow: from hours/days in batch to seconds/minutes in flow.
- A mild, one-pot Stadler-Ziegler synthesis of arylsulfides facilitated by photoredox catalysis in batch and continuous-flow. Wang, X.; Cuny, G. D.; Noël, T., Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2013, 52, 7860-7864.
- Visible Light Photocatalytic Metal-Free Perfluoroalkylation of Heteroarenes in Continuous Flow. Straathof, N. J. W.; van Osch, D. J. G. P.; Schouten, A.; Wang, X.; Schouten, J. C.; Hessel, V.; Noël, T., J. Flow Chem. 2014, 4, 12-17.
- Rapid trifluoromethylation and perfluoroalkylation of five-membered heterocycles by photoredox catalysis in continuous flow. Straathof, N. J. W.; Gemoets, H.; Wang, X.; Schouten, J. C.; Hessel, V.; Noël, T., ChemSusChem 2014, 7, 1612-1617.
- A mild and fast photocatalytic trifluoromethylation of thiols in batch and continuous-flow. Straathof, N. J. W.; Tegelbeckers, B. J. P.; Hessel, V.; Wang, X.; Noël, T., Chem. Sci. 2014, 5, 4768-4773.
- Metal-free photocatalytic aerobic oxidation of thiols to disulfides in batch and continuous-flow. Talla, A.; Driessen, B.; Straathof, N. J. W.; Milroy, L.-G.; Brunsveld, L.; Hessel, V.; Wang, X.; Noël, T., Adv. Catal. 2015, 357, 2180-2186.
- Photochemical transformations accelerated in continuous-flow reactors: basic concepts and applications. Su, Y.; Straathof, N. J. W.; Hessel, V.; Noël, T., Chem. Eur. J. 2014, 20, 10562-10589.
- Accelerated Gas-liquid Visible Light Photoredox Catalysis with Continuous-Flow Photochemical Microreactors. Straathof, N. J. W.; Su, Y.; Hessel, V.; Noël, T., Nature Protocols, 2016, 11, 10-21.